One of may favorite side dishes for Paleo cooking is cabbage & pancetta. There are a number of variations that keep this recipe fresh no matter how often you use it. I'll list afew of my favorites below the recipe. Feel free to tell me yours in the comments below!
- 2 pieces of Fresh Pancetta cubed or small strips
- 1/2 head of Cabbage
- 1/2 Vidalia Onion
- Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- In a medium skillet on medium heat:
- Add strips of Pancetta and cook til brown and grease coats bottom of pan
- Add Onion, cook til slightly translucent
- Add Cabbage
- Stir, coating all ingredient in pancetta grease
- Add Water
- Add Apple Cider, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder to taste
- Stir regularly.
- I like to cook this until the water has been cooked out and the cabbage starts to brown and carmalize.
- Remove and serve immediately with your favorite main course.
Variations: For variations on the flavor of this recipe consider adding some of my favorite ingredients and seasonings:
- Mustard Powder for tanginess
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes for some heat
- Crushed or Diced Tomatoes &/or Basil
- Thinly sliced or Diced Apples - add about the same time as the onions
- Bacon instead of the Pancetta
These options can add flavor variety to this side dish you could eat it every day without your taste buds getting tired. Let me know what you think and tell me your favorite variations.