- 5lb Bone-in Pork Shoulder
- 2 1/2 Cups Water
- 1/4 tsp Cilantro
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Small Vidalia or Mayan Sweet Onion cut very coarsely
- 1TBSP Onion Powder
- 1Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Celery Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Ancho Chile Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- I start with getting the seasoning ready, so mix all the Dry Rub spices together and set them aside.
- Rinse Pork Shoulder in cold water and dry.
- Put in an disposable Foil Pan and coat with Dry Rub until all sides are coated.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sear 3-4 min on each side until deep brown. I do this in a separate skillet and add a little bacon grease for a complimentary flavor.
- Once seared return to Foil Pan and add coarsely sliced Onion, Water, Bay Leaf & Cilantro.
- Leave uncovered and put in the oven for 3-3.5 hours. Checking periodically.
- It should easily fall apart at this point, so let it cool a bit and start to pull it apart.
- You should have some extra liquid - remove and set aside for later. Leave the onion pieces to incorporate.
- Now it's time to shred. Pull apart and separate while removing the fat and bone.
- Two choices here: 1. consider yourself done and commence the eating, 2. stick the shredded pork back in the oven about 15 min and let it brown/carmelize a bit.
- Use the leftover broth if it gets dry or needs some extra flavor when reheating.
- Serve with your favorite vegetable or on a bed of lettuce.
Paleo Shredded Pork Recipe Variations
Lots of flavoring to experiment with here to make your own so think of the spices you love and recreate the dry rub to suit your tastes. You can also make a variation of this in a pressure cooker (see my Paleo Pressure Cooker Carnitas recipe,) with a rotisserie or in a smoker.