I bought some steak for dinner (lean eye of round) but realized I hadn't really considered the side dish for the meal. I didn't want to go back out to get anything so I looked around the kitchen for what we had - sweet potatoes (which is always our quick microwave option), some celery and of course sweet mayan onions that I eat almost one a day of easily. Viola, the Caveman Trinity was born - one tuber (sweet potato), one bulb (onion) & one stem (celery). A simple paleo sweet potato side dish that can complement any main course. What's not to love.
Prep time: 1
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Medium Mayan Sweet Onion
- 5 Stalks of Celery
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Coarsely chop the Onions & Celery.
- Cube the Sweet Potatoes.
- Finely dice garlic.
- Add Olive Oil to the skillet and set skillet to Medium or Medium low.
- Add Onions, Celery & Sweet Potatoes and give them a little stir to coat with the Olive Oil.
- Add Diced Garlic, Salt & Pepper.
- Cook uncovered for 20 Min. Checking periodically.
- If you like everything a little crunchier consider more of a 15-18 minute cook time
- Serve with your favorite main course.
Paleo Sweet Potato Side Dish Recipe Variations
I kept the flavors simple on this. It ends up being a little on the sweet side but it goes great with nice lean eye of round steak. Another option would be to put these on a cookie sheet and oven roast them. Feel free to add any complementary spices based on the main corse. Thyme and Rosemary are a great option when roasting.